How to take care of our skin in summer
How does Summer affect your Skin?
Summer rolls in and changes our daily routine in many ways, especially our Skincare routine. Summer is harsh on your skin, causing dryness, dehydration, discoloration, and premature skin aging.
It is vital to protect your skin by using sunscreens, regular moisturizing, and using nourishing face masks that boost hydration and deeply nourish your skin making it soft and fresh.
How to take care of our Skin in Summer or do Summer Skincare tips?
During Summer, your skin yearns for protection from rashes, tanning, sunburns, acne, premature aging, and dehydration, so here is how you can protect your skin.
- Use a Face wash suited for your skin type to remove excess oil, dirt, and grime. For dry skin use a non-foaming cleanser that is mild, alcohol-free, and pH balanced.
- Adopt A Good & Consistent Skin Care Routine by using a gel-based (lighter and non-greasy) for dry skin and water-based for oily skin. Your Routine must include cleansing, toning, and moisturizing, preferably twice a day to keep your skin clean and rejuvenated.
- Antioxidants in Your Skin Care Regime – Antioxidant serums keep your skin hydrated, protected from environmental damage, boost collagen, and forage free radicals to prevent damage to the skin. Your diet can consist of citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, drinking green tea, etc.
- Hydrate your Skin by drinking sufficient water. Use a Hydrating face mask at night for extra hydration while you sleep. Do wash your face frequently with water or spray a facial mist to freshen your skin.
- Exfoliate for Healthy Skin by using a face scrub that suits your skin type, at least twice a week to remove excess dirt and oil from the skin. Massage your face, neck, and lips gently in a circular motion and rinse.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30-50 suitable for all skin types, whether you stay indoors or go out.
- Avoid Heavy Makeup as it prevents the skin from breathing due to the heat and humidity. Consider using a tinted lip balm and a tinted moisturizer.
- Use a Good Toner – to close open pores and remove oiliness. Choose an aloe vera or cucumber-based toner as they are lighter and cooling.
- Moisturize well by using a non-greasy moisturizer, suitable for your skin type. The moisturizer should contain antioxidants like vitamins A and C and has SPF, preferably apply it immediately after a bath.
- Protect your Eyes, Lips & Feet by wearing sunglasses for protection from the sun’s harmful rays. Use a moisturizing under-eye gel, a lip balm with an SPF under your lipstick, and sunscreen on your feet.
- Stay Hydrated by consuming at least 8 -10 glasses of water daily with some fruit juices to prevent dehydration and flush out toxins from the body.
Home remedies to get glowing skin in Summer
Nature has a way of providing healing so opt for fruits like cucumber, honey, turmeric, and papaya which boost hydration and give a natural glow.
Coffee & Lemon
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C, lightens your skin, and is an exfoliator. Add 1 tablespoon of coffee and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, mix well and apply for 15 minutes and rinse.
Strawberry, Lemon & Yogurt
Mash strawberries and mix well with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply for 20-30 minutes and rinse.
Honey & Egg
For a natural glow, mix 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon of honey, apply for 10-15 minutes, and rinse it with cold water.
Aloe vera has antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Apply the pulp of Aloe vera and massage for 15-20 minutes and rinse your face after 10 minutes.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-aging, and skin brightening properties. Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, apply for 20 minutes and rinse.
Honey & Yogurt
Add 1 cup of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey, mix well, apply for 20 minutes and rinse
Orange Juice & Turmeric
Orange Juice & Turmeric have brightening properties. Take equal amounts of orange juice and turmeric, mix well, apply for 20 minutes and rinse.
Sandalwood & Almond Oil
Sandalwood & Almond Oil rejuvenates and brightens the skin. Mix both the oils well and apply for 15 minutes and rinse.
Holistic list of summer skincare tips that would help All Skin types?
- Face care is necessary as your face is your identity. For breakouts and pimples, ensure you splash your face with water at least 3-to 4 times daily. For acne-prone skin use Multani Mutti (fullers earth), sandalwood powder, Rosewater, and basil, whereas, for dry and matured skin use egg white, lemon, sandalwood powder, and curd with a pinch of turmeric and gram flour.
- Use weather appropriate products – The thick creams should be used in Winter and lighter lotions and serums for summer. For extra oily and acne-prone skin, use facial sprays with minerals. Adding natural moisturizers like Glycerine and Rosewater to the bathing water and applying curd for 10-15 minutes on dry areas of the body before bathing works wonders.
- Stick to the basic regime of cleansing, toning, and moisturizing at night before sleeping.
- Importance of sunscreen – UV rays are harmful to your skin, so apply sunscreen with an SPF of 30 for about 20-30 minutes before stepping out.
- Natural remedies like Lemon and Tomato keep skin fresh. Freeze the Tomato juice in an ice tray and gently scrub every alternate day and rinse it off.
- Protect your Eyes and Lips by wearing sunglasses and using a Lip balm. Cold cotton pads dipped in Potato juice are relaxing too.
- Maintain overall hygiene by bathing twice a day.
- Eat cooling foods like seasonal fruits and vegetables. Try and avoid sugary drinks, have Coconut water, and drink water at least 8-10 glasses per day.
- Wear breathable fabrics like Cotton and lighter fabrics to feel light and cool.
- Don’t fear the sun as it is a mood enhancer and helps us produce a mood-boosting hormone called Seratonin.
Does your Skin change with the seasons?
Seasons do impact your skin, however, there are remedies for Skincare in every season. These changes are dependent on your genetic makeup, skin type, and level of sun exposure.
During warmer weather, the complexion can get oily, leading to breakouts, tanning, and blemishes.
Cold weather causes skin dryness, flakiness, and irritated skin. Protect your skin by using cleansers, exfoliators, heavier creams, and moisturizers.
It is therefore imperative to pay attention to your skin by consistently following a skincare routine and adopting new ways of ensuring that your skin is in good health.